1/21/13

About Molly


Hi, I'm Molly and I'm a Sociology major at Ohio University (OU). I will have to write an honors thesis in a year, and I want to prepare myself as much as I can. I am currently taking a tutorial in research methods, and this blog is to help me store and share the basics of what I learn, as well as some applications. I will be posting about once a week about what I have read and thought about.

I am in the Honors Tutorial College here at OU, and a big requirement is the thesis as a senior project. Since I am probably graduating a semester early, I will start it spring semester 2014. After I graduate, I would like to work with children and/or adolescents, so I would like my thesis topic to reflect that. I haven't completely chosen a topic yet, but I hope to do so in the next few months.

I developed an interest in working with adolescents because I have done volunteer work with them for the past several years. The main influence for my interest is an organization called Young Life, in which I participated in high school, and volunteer for while in college. Young Life is a Christian-based organization which encourages "contact work" between college students and students at one of several local high schools. In April 2012, I was assigned to volunteer with the students of Athens High School (AHS). I have enjoyed volunteering for the program very much and try to be a role model for the young women of AHS as I devote 10-20 hours per week to Young Life.

Beginning in August 2012, I also had the privilege of assistant coaching for the AHS junior varsity (JV) girls' cross country team. Coaching was a very rewarding experience, and the fun thing about JV girls was that they were proud of themselves for every second shaved off their personal record (PR), and for every mile at practice they didn't have to stop and walk. I enjoyed working with them and encouraging them during practice, as well as cheering them on during meets.

College wasn't the first time that I worked with children and adolescents, because I even worked with them when I was a teenager myself. I have been involved in programs such as Vacation Bible School (leading elementary-age children through games, snacks, songs, crafts, and storytime), Girls on the Run (encouraging fourth grade girls to be physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy while teaching them to run a 5K race), and I have also spent quite a lot of time babysitting.

Hopefully now you know a little bit more about me and are interested in learning with me this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment